July 6, 2010

Mighty Food!

Almost nothing, save water, is as important as food to humans' survival as a species. Developments in farming over the last hundred or so years have allowed our country's population to expand to an incredible size along with our wastelines. Unfortunately, expanding farm output to match the demand created by fast food and supermarkets has compelled farmers to use less-than-ethical techniques to produce more food faster. Michael Pollan and Robert Kenner can tell you more than I about the problems our farming practices have created. Instead of re-hashing everything they have produced, I plan to use this blog to recount my experience working for an organic farm this summer and fall.

The farm is Mighty Food Farm, which provides organic eggs, fruits, and veggies to the people of Pownal, Vermont and the surrounding area. It's run by two graduates of UMass Amherst, along with a hard-working crew. Everyone there cares very much about how our farming impacts our environment, and while we try our best, we could be farming more sustainably. Regardless, working there has been an invaluable learning experience for me, and I hope to share as much of it with you as I can. If anything, I can bring you a little bit closer to your food and the people who grow it.

Very Sincerely,
Ryan Heisler, The Regular Farmer

No comments: